View technorati.com Literature blogs Literature, novels, author, writing Fiction Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday, February 13, 2006

News Updates

Hi all readers,

The news here is Garbage Head has been shortlisted for the Expozine Awards 2005 !!

See this link for more information.

I also read from the book in Montreal, Zeke's Gallery, and at the Gladestone Hotel, Toronto. Both were a success, the house at Zeke's was packed. Thanks everyone who turned out for the events. Kate at Kate's Book Blog wrote a nice little piece on the Toronto event. Thanks Kate -- it's always nice to discover someone liked your book.

I'm still reading like a maniac, although I must admit my reviews have been eating up time : I wrote on Tomi Hafkenscheid's photographs most recently. When I have a moment I'm polishing a couple short stories with both the sand blaster and meat grinder. Recent books included Francine Prose's The Peaceable Kingdom -- just not my style. I like things that are punchier, more architectonic, more structured. I just started Laurie Moore's Alligator -- two chapters in I am enjoying her writing style in this much better than in her earlier short stories. It appears at first glance each chapter is a character -- thank god some repeat so the device does not take over the narrative.

Tonight in the narrative class I'll present students with this great line by Ring Lardner, certainly one of my favorites:

Are we lost Daddy I arsked tenderly.
Shut up he explained.